[X-Servers] "Clear" a hung port?

lisa jaguar at gmu.edu
Fri Sep 15 18:58:47 PDT 2006

Hi,
   From a strictly UNIX perspective, with what you're describing it
seems like you should still be able to see that phantom connection
process out there connected to your box.  So I don't know if you need
to clear the port so much as clear all connections to that port. (Not
having used MYOB FileEdge I can't really speak to how the application
handles locking)  When your users login using the MYOB FileEdge
server can you see their individual connections in Activity Monitor?
If so you should be able to clear the individual connection to the
MYOB FileEdge server as opposed to clearing the application itself.
If you're not sure what the user process looks like then you could
open Activity Monitor before anyone logs in and then have them login
to the MYOB FileEdge server and see what new connection is created.
Once you can identify their connections and kill them through
activity monitor you can also kill them through terminal by using the
ps command to find the connections and the kill command to kill
them.  (In the advent you need to kill both the user connections
*and* the MYOB FileEdge server all of that can be done by command
line commands in terminal using the same ps and kill commands.)
Let me know if I need to be more clear.  I just woke up from nap. :)
-lisa