[X-Servers] "Clear" a hung port?

Peter Krug boomer0127 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 19:21:21 PDT 2006

Lisa,

Thank you for your reply.  In activity monitor, I cannot see the
individual connections, just a process called MYOBFileConnect.  If I
force quit the process (quitting does not work), I cannot restart the
process via the control panel unless I change the port that it uses
(that is pretty much all the control panel does - turn on/off sharing
of the data file and choosing the port for listening).    I can
normally stop sharing via the control panel if none of the users are
connected to the data file, but once the network snafu causes the
connection break, the control panel still thinks that the user is
connected.  That's why I wanted something that could "clear the port"
so that the control panel would not register connection anymore and
could be restarted.

Currently my only options are to 1) forcequit the process, reset the
port, start it back up, tell the users to change their ports or 2)
restart the server hardware.  I am strongly considering moving the
data file to one of their computers since taking down the server
hardware once or twice a day breaks many more connections to other
users of the server.

I wonder if I just closed the port and reopened it via the command
line if that might make the control panel forget that it had a
connected "phantom user"...  except that I'm not sure how I would go
about doing that. <sigh>

Thanks for your help,

Peter