[X-Unix] Directory Sizes

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Thu Apr 15 08:23:41 PDT 2004

	Just a quick contribution to the bank of answers:

On Apr 13, 2004, at 1:47 PM, Alex wrote:

> (And, an ancillary question: Is there a command which does what ls
> does, but knows about resource forks?).
>
> TIA, f

	You can view the size of resource forks with plain ls(1) by appending
/rsrc to the files that contain them:

$[juan at PowerBook: Trabajo](275/0,0)-> ls LogoBorrador.ai
-rw-r--r--  1 juan  staff    152K 13 Mar  2001 LogoBorrador.ai

$[juan at PowerBook: Trabajo](276/0,0)-> ls LogoBorrador.ai/rsrc
-rw-r--r--  1 juan  staff    9K 13 Mar  2001 LogoBorrador.ai/rsrc

	You see? There at first I got a long listing of "LogoBorrador.ai" and
then of the same file but with the /rsrc suffix,
"LogoBorrador.ai/rsrc"; the size of that last listing is that of the
resource fork. There are other things you can find out about it through
the command line, with tools like "lsmac" and "GetFileInfo", the former
attainable from the "osxutils" package from the
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ project and the latter attainable
from the Xcode package.

	Hope that helps, regards....

		Juan