GNU Readline

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun Apr 18 20:12:44 PDT 2004

I want to compile an open-source project called tclspice (an electronic
circuit simulator).  I downloaded the "source" file, opened a Terminal
window in its folder and typed "./configure".  Result: Many lines of text
reporting progress in finding stuff, mostly OK, until:

Checking for readline:
checking for readline/readline.h... no
configure: error: Couldn't find GNU readline headers.

After this, I found another open-source project called readline4-4.2a which
seems to be what the above notification says I'm missing.

Should I configure, make and make install this readline package first?  I
know how to compile programs with CodeWarrior or Xcode, but I don't
understand much about these unix packages.

I'm using Panther.

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock
San Jose, CA   USA