Resource Forks [Was: What's in an MP3's resource fork]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Apr 20 21:02:45 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004, at 20:15 Canada/Eastern, James Bucanek wrote:

> [...] Resource forks, like so many aspects of the original Macintosh
> design, were strokes of pure genius.[...]

Quite so.

By the late 90s (if not earlier), the Mac OS was obsolescent, but that
shouldn't obscure how brilliant and innovative some of the ideas
implemented in it were in their time.

On Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004, at 21:29 Canada/Eastern, Brian Medley wrote:

> [...] they wanted a mechanism to give
> their users easy installation and deletion of applications.[...]

This is a serious misconception; in fact, it's got nothing to do with
resources. I strongly suggest to those interested to go to
<http://developer.apple.com/> and check out the introductory chapters
of Inside Macintosh: Macintosh Toolbox Essentials and Inside Macintosh:
More Macintosh Toolbox.