guest FTP

Justin French justin at indent.com.au
Tue Apr 20 21:07:26 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm on OS X.3.3 (not server), and I'm looking for a safe way to allow a
"guest" to FTP into my machine (with password), to "drop off" files for
me.

So, I set up a new user "visitor" via System Preferences, and "locked
it down" to a simple finder with no apps/utilities/etc.

My hope would be that this user could FTP in, but would not have access
to files outside of /Users/visitor/ at all, or perhaps access to
/Users/*/Public/Drop Box.

However, when I ftp in over my LAN as visitor, I'm given full reign of
the machine.  For example, I can go to /Users/justin/Documents/ and
take anything I want.  Not good.

So, how can I lock down visitor?  Or should I be using "guest" or
something else?  Surely I'm missing something pretty simple!

I'd prefer to do all this via a GUI if possible, rather than by CLI,
but CLI is better than nothing!

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au