[X-Unix] dyndns to track your hardware (re: re: CL emailing)

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Sat Feb 7 10:49:17 PST 2004

	Hi Peter. I'm behind a NAT router (also does DHCP but I have it turned
off --besides that's irrelevant for this discussion), and I have a
dyndns account that perfectly matches the public IP my ISP assigns me
to a hostname I can use anywhere in the world. Having private internal
IPs clashes in no way with this setup, since the dyndns account gets
updated with the public IP of the *external* NIC interface in case it
changes, not with any of the internal IPs (the private ones).

	To achieve this you need, as you said, a tool to auto update the
dyndns database, a client, which you can point to an
account/user/interface-to-monitor. For the Mac a very famous one is
http://www.dnsupdate.org; lately I've discovered that some SOHO NAT
routers offer the dyndns client feature, but unfortunately mine
doesn't. But that's not a problem, because DNSUpdate has kept my
hostname rout-able for over two years already!

	Hope that's of help,...

		Juan