dyndns to track your hardware (re: re: CL emailing)

Peter Marreck prm1 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 7 09:05:12 PST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 9:15 AM, James Bucanek wrote:

> Personally, I'd suggest solving this problem by signing up for a free
> dynam=
> ic domain service like <http://dyndns.org/>.  It will do exactly what
> you'r=
> e talking about and avoids all of the mail configuration problems
> we've jus=
> t been discussing.

I thought of that. Unfortunately, I'm behind a NAT/DHCP router (and if
the laptop was stolen, it could conceivably be behind a router too) so
that solution won't work- I have an intranet IP and it won't help me if
some tool on my laptop which updates dyndns causes
petespowerbook.dyndns.org to point to 192.168.whatever... (Unless the
tools that auto-update your dyndns information somehow use the
internet-facing IP from the router? Last time I checked, they don't.)

Regarding someone mentioning just purchasing a tool to help your laptop
report its location... Hey, I'm kind of a tinkerer, I don't think that
creating a home-grown solution that works is beyond my means ;) Plus,
I'm learning some Perl, some shell, and some SMTP at the same time...
and ultimately, that's why I'm on this mailing list. ;)

-peter