[X-Unix] Start, re-start? again & again?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Wed Feb 11 15:16:54 PST 2004

Raoul Armfield wrote on Wednesday, February 11, 2004:

>If CP tried to re-install the OS, wouldn't that mean that he booted from
>the CD? So if the installer did not see the drive, why would Disk
>Utility see it?

The OS installer won't present a volume for all kinds of reasons: It doesn't appear to be the correct format, it has a later version of the OS, etc.  However, none of those things would stop Disk Utility from recognizing a physical device and reformatting it.

The problem for CP is that there are files they need to get off of the volume first.

But assuming there was already an adequate backup, I've had numerous volumes that were too messed up to install on.  So you pop into Disk Utility, reformat it, and then the installer is good to go.