Logging connect attempts

peter boardman pete.boardman at pobox.com
Thu Feb 12 08:17:40 PST 2004

Last year I borrowed a Windoze laptop for a week and connected it to the internet for
about an hour. During that time unknown to me the machine was attacked by a worm
- no email attachments or anything, just being connected to the internet was
sufficient. When I returned the laptop to head office it caused havoc...

Is it fair to assume that this type of attack doesn’t occur on Macs? (Assuming, say,
that the firewall in Panther is enabled?) Is there a way to see or log any attempts to
infiltrate my machine while it’s connected?

Pete