[X-Unix] Defragmenting?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 18 12:02:30 PST 2004

On 2/18/04 8:54 PM, "James Bucanek" <subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm saddly mistaken, the locate database only contains the *names* of
> files.  Updating the locate database won't actually read any files -- only the
> directories.  [ While 'file' will read a file for magic cookies, the
> documentation for locate and locate.updatedb only talk about filenames, not
> types. ]

Good point. It seemed that periodic weekly was longer under Panther, and
that this could have been an answer...

> On the other hand, you could run something like this:
>
>   find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 cat > /dev/null
>
> However, I suspect that there's probably a limit to how many files the OS will
> queue up for defragmentation at one time.

And to how long it would take as well. I don't think I want to try it, at
least not now. I'll try it on a partition with not too many files on it.

Thanks,

Kirk

        My latest book: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/htde.html
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .