[X-Unix] Disk Formatting

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Feb 18 13:42:54 PST 2004

>> I want to format a hard disk, scan the surface for bad blocks, and map
>> out the bad blocks, if any. Is there a CLI tool for this job?

On Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004, at 22:47 Canada/Eastern, Alexandre Gauthier
wrote:

> This is a shot in the dark, but you may want to research fsck_hfs
> (fsck)

On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 01:18 Canada/Eastern, Juan Manuel
Palacios wrote:

> There's always pdisk(1) to manipulate Apple partition maps, but I
> don't know if it'll get you what you want with respect to the surace
> scanning, pretty sure it'll let you reformat the hard disk and create
> a custom setup.

On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 10:44 Canada/Eastern, Brent Baisley
wrote:

> Try looking into diskutil and hfs.util

Thanks for the replies. However, the above-mentioned utilities are
concerned with high-level manipulation. I'm looking for something that
does low-level formatting, e.g., format, which, however, AFAICT is not
included with Darwin.