[X-Unix] Disk Formatting

Barry Lyden blyden at mac.com
Wed Feb 18 16:31:46 PST 2004

It has been my experience that many new after-market drives include
such tools. Even if this is an original equipment drive, if you can
identify the drive by manufacturer and model number, you may be able to
get a tool directly from the drive maker's support web. If you plan to
do this to many different types of drives, however, then this may be
impractical. Anyway, it's just a thought.

On Feb 18, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Alex wrote:

>>> I want to format a hard disk, scan the surface for bad blocks, and
>>> map
>>> out the bad blocks, if any. Is there a CLI tool for this job?
>

> On Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004, at 22:47 Canada/Eastern, Alexandre Gauthier
> wrote:
>
>> This is a shot in the dark, but you may want to research fsck_hfs
>> (fsck)
>
> On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 01:18 Canada/Eastern, Juan Manuel
> Palacios wrote:
>
>> There's always pdisk(1) to manipulate Apple partition maps, but I
>> don't know if it'll get you what you want with respect to the surace
>> scanning, pretty sure it'll let you reformat the hard disk and create
>> a custom setup.
>
> On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 10:44 Canada/Eastern, Brent Baisley
> wrote:
>
>> Try looking into diskutil and hfs.util
>

> Thanks for the replies. However, the above-mentioned utilities are
> concerned with high-level manipulation. I'm looking for something that
> does low-level formatting, e.g., format, which, however, AFAICT is not
> included with Darwin.

> <X-Unix-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <X-Unix-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> DVIator   | Run Dual ADC displays on your G4 or just one on an older
> Mac! Dr. Bott  | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html>
>
>   Support   | Support this list by clicking here before you buy!
>  this List  |  http://www.themacintoshguy.com/support.html

> http://www.osxfaq.com

Barry