[X-Unix] Disk Formatting

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Thu Feb 19 09:35:25 PST 2004

On 19 Feb, 2004, at 09:37, Alex wrote:
> On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 19:31 Canada/Eastern, Barry Lyden wrote:
>
>> It has been my experience that many new after-market drives include
>> such tools. [...]
>
> For instance?

Silverlining from LaCie. FWB's Hard Disk tool kit. Apple's HD Utility.
... except that they all only run on OS 9.

In *BSD there are a couple of utilities for different types of media:

fdformat - format floppy disks
fdwrite - format and write floppy disks
sformat - SCSI disk formatting/partitioning/analysis/repair utility

The basic reason that Apple does not include a low-level format routine
any more is the size of the disk drives.

A low-level format takes HOURS for large disk drives. And if you abort
it part way through, until you run it again to completion, that drive
is useless. Most users do not have the patients to do it, and cause
more trouble than they resolve. [The last time I did one was on my old
9600 and it ran for 18 hours on, what by today's standards, is a
"small" drive.]

There is an outside chance that the new Drive 10 or TechTool Pro4 does
the deed, but I don't know off hand.

Also, drives have a "known" bad-track list which is determined by the
factory and must be applied when any new low-level format is
accomplished.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com