[X-Unix] Disk Formatting

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Feb 19 10:41:26 PST 2004

On Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004, at 20:20 Canada/Eastern, Alex wrote:

> [...] Is there a CLI tool for this job?
                    ^^^

wrote:

> In *BSD there are a couple of utilities for different types of media:
>
> fdformat - format floppy disks
> fdwrite - format and write floppy disks
> sformat - SCSI disk formatting/partitioning/analysis/repair utility

In *BSD, methinks format would have been the most suitable for the job,
but neither it, nor the ones you mentioned are included in Darwin.

wrote:

> The basic reason that Apple does not include a low-level format
> routine any more is the size of the disk drives. [...]

I was under the impression that the basic reason was that current hard
drives are low-level formatted at the factory, and handle bad/spare
blocks themselves. Am I wrong?

At any rate, I find Darwin's lack of a utility to check the physical
integrity of the disk puzzling.