[X-Unix] Backdoor method to add users

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 23 14:22:02 PST 2004

On Feb 23, 2004, at 4:02 pm, William H. Magill wrote:

> On 23 Feb, 2004, at 09:01, Mike Jezierski wrote:
>> We, being the cheapskates we are, intend to run OS X Client as a
>> server OS. We don't see the point in spend loads of dosh on a
>> "server" OS when you don't get any additional benefit other than a
>> lighter checkbook. If Apple put a user limit in Mac OS X without
>> telling us, I would consider that an Extremely Bad Move (R) ...
>
> You are confused. ... Stop and think about what you are trying to do.
>
> A Hummer and a VW beetle are both forms of transportation. You can
> "mod" the Beetle by dropping a Porsche engine in it and sticking
> snorkel manifolds on it so you can drive it across the same 4 foot
> deep stream that you drive the Hummer across... However, the
> experience and effort required is not quite the same.
> Similarly, you are buying what is CLEARLY marketed as a Single (or
> Family) User system and attempting to pretend it is a general-purpose,
> multi-user, time-sharing, Unix system.  Remember, that is YOUR
> definition of OS X Client, not Apple's.

That's tosh.

Both client & server versions of OS X are exactly the same under the
hood - a much better analogy is that they are both the same make & type
of car, except that OS X server has the higher-end "trim" & "options"
for more demanding drivers.

If OS X server is a general-purpose, multi-user, time-sharing, Unix
system, then so is OS X client - as I understand it the only difference
between the two is a few GUI admin goodies. I do agree that is a
reasonable expectation that most workstation- and domestic-users would
have no need to add more than 99 users, however to say on only that
basis that OS X client isn't "a general-purpose, multi-user,
time-sharing, Unix system" I find bizarre.

I personally don't feel that one "should have to pay extra for the GUI
admin goodies - the cost of production of them must be relatively low
for Apple, and it seems like a bit of a racket to charge much for them.
But what I think "should" happen has nothing at all to do with
economics, and Apple is allowed to bundle these tools any way they wish
- I would have thought that with 99 users the cost / user of these
goodies would be relatively low, and would have saved the OP's time &
energy so far.

Since the OP is a self-confessed cheapskate after my own heart, I
recommend he read
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30760> and
<http://www.osxfaq.com/FAQ/User_Admin_FAQ/index.ws>. If these utilities
are unable to add a one-hundredth user, then it certainly IS a bug.

Stroller.