[X-Unix] Backdoor method to add users

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 24 13:49:15 PST 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 8:15 pm, Dan Frakes wrote:
> ... If you're actually
> using Mac OS X as a server, the Server version is well worth the extra
> dough, as good admin tools are a huge part of a good server OS.

I've already stated that I'm inclined to agree with this. (I can't talk
about OS X sever from experience).

> ...nor is it cheap to test and certify an OS...

What certification..? I've had a good glance through
<http://www.apple.com/server/> and
<http://a208.g.akamai.net/7/208/51/419c85d2698237/www.apple.com/server/
pdfs/MacOSX_Server_TO_300195.pdf> and don't see any mention of them.
iIf OS X had, for instance, ISO certification, wouldn't they be
boasting about it in big letters at <http://www.apple.com/server/>..?

> The "cost of production" for server-level administration tools is not
> low...

Oh, come on. We're talking about stuff like a Cocoa GUI for editing
things like Apache.conf & Samba.conf. Whilst I'm sure they're not
knocked up in 5 minutes, they're one of the substantial differences
between OS X client and the $300 - $800 more expensive server edition.

> If you really need a server OS, the price of Mac OS X Server is a huge
> bargain. Ask your friendly neighborhood Windows network admin how much
> he/she paid for a server OS with unlimited clients...

I'm not sure that that's really the point.
If the OP wants to be tight-fisted (and I respect a cautious approach
to overheads in any business), OS X client is essentially the same
under the hood as OS X server, and so he doesn't have to pay for these
extra tools if he doesn't want them, however much time you & I might
think they'll save him.

Stroller.