[X-Unix] Backdoor method to add users

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Tue Feb 24 12:15:00 PST 2004

Mike Jezierski <pcdoctor at galesburg.net> wrote:
> We, being the cheapskates we are, intend to run OS X Client as a
> server OS. We don't see the point in spend loads of dosh on a
> "server" OS when you don't get any additional benefit other than a
> lighter checkbook. If Apple put a user limit in Mac OS X without
> telling us, I would consider that an Extremely Bad Move (R) ...

The additional benefits you get with OS X Server include lots of easy to use
server administration tools and some additional software. Oh, and an
unlimited client license. That's the point ;-) (You also get Server-level
support from Apple if you have a problem.)

You're really looking at this situation backwards, in my opinion. The fact
that OS X Server and OS X Client are very similar under the hood is a bonus
for users of the client, rather than evidence that the Server is too
expensive. OS X Server is *cheap* for a solid server OS. If you're actually
using Mac OS X as a server, the Server version is well worth the extra
dough, as good admin tools are a huge part of a good server OS.

As for user limits, given that it's not cheap to develop all the additional
GUI (and command-line) tools, nor is it cheap to test and certify an OS that
may be used in environements with hundreds, or even thousands, of users, I
personally don't begrudge Apple for limiting the number of users in the
Client version (assuming they've done so, which I don't know if they have).

Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> That's tosh.
[snip]
> I personally don't feel that one "should have to pay extra for the GUI
> admin goodies - the cost of production of them must be relatively low
> for Apple, and it seems like a bit of a racket to charge much for them.

The "cost of production" for server-level administration tools is not low,
nor is the testing involved in shipping a server OS. Plus, the amount of
time and effort these admin tools save you, and the added power they give
you, are clearly worth the price if you use them regularly.

Plus, as I mentioned above, you're not just paying for the admin tools.
You're paying for all the additional R&D and testing that goes into
certifying a server-level OS.

If you really need a server OS, the price of Mac OS X Server is a huge
bargain. Ask your friendly neighborhood Windows network admin how much
he/she paid for a server OS with unlimited clients...