Panther, ssh and mail

avri at psg.com avri at psg.com
Wed Jan 14 19:33:50 PST 2004

Hi,

I just upgraded (i think it was an upgrade - jury is still out on that)
to 10.3.2 from 10.2.8 (i think).

In 10.2 i had no problem using up an ssh localforward from 14025 to
remotehost:25 and then using localhost port 14025 for mail smtp
purposes.  my forwarding commands are in a .ssh/config file and they do
seem to be being picked up - localforward of 14110 to 110 for pop works
fine.

This not longer seems to work and I can't figure out why.  does anyone
know of any changes or is anyone doing this successfully.

There is, at least,  one anomaly in the ssh debug stuff:

debug1: Connections to local port 14110 forwarded to remote address
group.com:110
debug1: Local forwarding listening on ::1 port 14110.
debug1: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [port listener]
debug1: Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 14110.
debug1: fd 5 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 1: new [port listener]
debug1: Connections to local port 14025 forwarded to remote address
group.com:25
debug1: Local forwarding listening on ::1 port 14025.
debug1: fd 6 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 2: new [port listener]
debug1: Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 14025.
debug1: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK

i.e. it is setting up to listen to port 14025 on two channels.   Can
figure out why, don't remember it ever doing that under 10.2.6 but
can't swear to it.  And am not sure what the effect of that would be.

BTW, the .ssh/config is:

Host group.com
         Localforward 14110 group.com:110
         Localforward 14025 group.com:25

I use the regular OSX mail app and the rest of the behavior seems
normal.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

a.