[X-Unix] So what is a dmg file?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Wed Jan 21 22:20:09 PST 2004

Victor Eijkhout wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2004:

>>Why would you expect 'file' to know anything about Mac OS X specific
>>file formats?  'file' is a UNIX utility.
>
>I would at least expect it to report the same about all dmg files.

But 'file' just makes a guess about a binary file based on "magic numbers" it finds at the beginning of the file.  Unless someone has updated its database to include the "magic numbers" for dmg files, the results are going to be, more or less, random.  Or at the very least, consitently confused with some other binary file format that appears to be similar.