[X-Unix] So what is a dmg file?

Lotas Smartman tiernanotoole at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 22:30:54 PST 2004

actually a dmg file is something like a windows exe or a mac .app file.
its a runnable file. it auto mounts an image, and sometimes
uncompresses it too, and then you can use it. think of it as a self
extracting zip file, without the extracting. or a virtual cdrom drive.
someone did go off and get a load of files and figure out what each one
did, so yea, file does have a list of "magic numbers" so it can find
out what each file is. pretty handy util.
Lotas T Smartman, MCP
www.lotas-smartman.net
www.the-hairy-one.com
www.lsn-blog.tk