[X-Unix] So what is a dmg file?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Thu Jan 22 10:40:34 PST 2004

On 22 Jan, 2004, at 11:04, Albert Lunde wrote:
> So I'm kind of concerned about creating archives I'll be unable
> to read on some future platform.

As I mentioned in my earlier post -- being able to read the physical
media is much more of a concern than being able to decode the contents.

Decode stuff is what computers do best. Somebody can always write a
program that will remember what the format of the 8 1/2 inch floppy
used on the PDP 8 was... but finding a drive to read that floppy will
be a challenge.

When you move to some future platform you probably won't be able to
read the 3.5 inch floppies you used to archive your PowerPC 604 system
with. ... oh, yeah, we already did that, didn't we.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com