dmg for archiving

Peter Marreck prm1 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 25 10:21:40 PST 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, at 8:48 AM, Mac OS X Unix wrote:

> This is a valid concern for long term backup. If you're concerned about
> long-term (10 year plus), go with tar files on a stock iso 9660 CD - as
> long as there's a unix and/or its relatives, there will be tar, and the
> ability to mount iso format CDs.

I too am a bit of a digital packrat.

For archiving, I am currently using internally-compressed dmg files and
burning them to ISO 9660 CD's. For images that are larger than 700MB, I
have a dropscript I wrote which will segment them (email me if you want
it). I fully expect these to be openable in 10 years, just like images
made with Apple's oldest floppy disk image format from 1990 are still
openable now (theoretically). (I've been using Macs since '84.)

The advantage of using dmg over tar is the still-present resource-fork
issue with Macs. Not to mention, you can double-click-mount the image,
even a segmented one (as long as all segments are present in the same
directory)... You can't do that with tar. The final advantage is the
internal compression (although, yes, gzip is doable for that angle...)

On a related note, I'm currently evaluating methods of archiving
paperwork to disk. Ideally I'd like an automated workflow where I slap
a document on my Epson 1200U, hit "scan", and save it as an OCR'd PDF
with the image in front of the text (so it looks identical to the
document yet is searchable, save minor OCR errors). I can do this
manually with OmniPagePro X, but it's sooooo slooooowwww.... Anyone
have ideas on that? (sorry if offtopic...)

-Peter Marreck