[X-Unix] dmg for archiving

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 25 10:32:31 PST 2004

On 1/25/04 19:21, "Peter Marreck" <prm1 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> The advantage of using dmg over tar is the still-present resource-fork
> issue with Macs. Not to mention, you can double-click-mount the image,
> even a segmented one (as long as all segments are present in the same
> directory)... You can't do that with tar. The final advantage is the
> internal compression (although, yes, gzip is doable for that angle...)

The disadvantage - and I've seen this, when I used to use DMGs for archives
- is that if one byte gets screwed up you won't be able to mount the DMG.

I think you should definitely avoid any type of compression for any
long-term archiving.

Kirk

            My Latest Book: Mastering Mac OS X: Panther Edition
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/panther.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .