[X-Unix] missing man pages

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Mon Jan 5 02:21:58 PST 2004

On Jan 5, 2004, at 5:24 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	Just for the sake of confirmation, I'm running latest Panther
> (10.3.2), updated from Jaguar through "Archive & Install", and I do
> have the 'perror' man page:

Thank you, that's helpful.

> $[juan at PowerBook: dports](215/0,0)-> find /usr/share/man -name
> "*perror*"
> /usr/share/man/man3/ldap_perror.3
> /usr/share/man/man3/longjmperror.3
> /usr/share/man/man3/perror.3
> /usr/share/man/man3/snmp_perror.3
> /usr/share/man/man3/snmp_sess_perror.3
> $[juan at PowerBook: dports](216/0,0)->
>
> 	You should note that I have the developer tools installed, so that's
> something which you might want to check on (honestly it's what I
> really think you should check).

Since this hard disk has 80GB I installed almost everything. I guess
the "developer tools" means the Developer.mpkg in the CD labeled "Xcode
Tools". I reinstalled it just in case, but the man page is not there
(and none of the ones in your listing above).

> Also you could check your manpath: how are you setting it, through the
> environment variable $MANPATH or through the command manpath(1)? In
> any case make sure /usr/share/man is in your path.

I see in Terminal.app that MANPATH is empty and manpath(1) returns

     /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man

Nevertheless, there were some days where I could have messed that up,
because following the instructions in the installation of Qt I set
MANPATH to $QT_MANPATH:$MANPATH, which since MANPATH is empty gave just
the Qt directory (in those days man didn't work right, of course). I
have no idea, do you think some man pages could be deleted because of
that?

I am tempted to reinstall the system with CD 1, do you think that's
reasonable? Is there a way to inspect the packages in the CDs of
Panther so that I can manually check where the man pages come from to
try a package reinstall? I've tried "Show package contents" in a few
but do not see clearly the files they install (I am not familiar with
packages yet).

-- fxn