[X-Unix] missing man pages

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Mon Jan 5 04:19:33 PST 2004

On Jan 5, 2004, at 12:46 PM, torhildr wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2004, at 11:21 AM, Xavier Noria wrote:
>>
>> I see in Terminal.app that MANPATH is empty and manpath(1) returns
>>
>>     /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man
>>
>> Nevertheless, there were some days where I could have messed that up,
>> because following the instructions in the installation of Qt I set
>> MANPATH to $QT_MANPATH:$MANPATH, which since MANPATH is empty gave
>> just the Qt directory (in those days man didn't work right, of
>> course). I have no idea, do you think some man pages could be deleted
>> because of that?
>
> Do you have the file:
> /usr/share/man/man3/strerror.3
> ?

Nope.

> Your manpath seems to be correct, so I don't think that's the problem.

OK.

> You might be simply missing some files.
> Check the following:
> [Tor:share/man/man3] tor% pwd
> /usr/share/man/man3
> [Tor:share/man/man3] tor% ls | wc -l
>     2542

That does not coincide with the count here:

     fxn at conway:~% cd /usr/share/man/man3
     fxn at conway:/usr/share/man/man3% ls | wc -l
          2393
     fxn at conway:/usr/share/man/man3% ls | egrep ^str
     strerror_r.3
     strict.3pm
     strtof.3
     strtoimax.3
     strtold.3
     strtoumax.3

Just after an update of the locate database we get:

     fxn at conway:/usr/share/man/man3% locate strerror

/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/POSIX/
strerror.al
     /Users/fxn/Public/Drop Box/ruby-1.8.0/missing/strerror.c

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/POSIX/
strerror.al
     /usr/share/man/man3/strerror_r.3

> That's from a base install.

Did you install the "Xcode tools" stuff?

-- fxn