[X-Unix] Altering .bashrc in bash to add to $PATH

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Jan 7 23:31:34 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:05:11PM -0800, Robert Ameeti wrote:
:
: echo $SHELL gives me /bin/bash
: echo $PATH gives me /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
:
: I am wanting to add /Library/MySQL/bin to my path
:
: While in my home directory, I do pico .bashrc
:
: Pico opens with a single line that says:
:
: export PATH="$PATH:/Library/MySQL/bin"
:
: How far off am I in getting my PATH altered to include that additional
: path? I am thinking that I am doing what I need to do but it doesn't
: appear to be working.   :-(

The line above looks right.  But the ~/.bashrc file needs to be executed.
The easiest thing to do is to close your current Terminal window and open
a new one.  If the new Terminal window does not get your new $PATH, then
you need remove the line above from ~/.bashrc and insert it into either
~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile (whichever one exists).

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/