.bash_profile

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Fri Jan 9 01:50:26 PST 2004

Just out of curiosity, what sort of changes are people making to their
shell environment by changing .bash_profile? Really I'm just after
hints and tips which could make my command line experience easier.

And on this subject, as of Panther, man pages are not scrollable in the
terminal. Rather, I have to use the control y and v options to move up
and down pages. This has got me thinking on my use of man (a bad thing
;-). Can I change my environment so that an appropriate man page is
opened in a new terminal window with the entire text already loaded.
This means that I can use terminal's scroll bars to navigate through
the text. Of course we'll need to start at the top of the man page's
text.

Actually, BBEdit would make a good pager for me - except that it
doesn't interpret the control characters used in the man pages.

Hmm.

Simon Forster