[X-Unix] IRC, lynx, newsgroups, RPM install, etc.

Charles Burkins burk at pobox.com
Sat Jul 17 19:52:08 PDT 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Alexandre Quessy wrote:

> Hi all,
> Bonjour !
>
> I have fun reading your mails. It helps me to get used to *NIX on my
> Mac. Apple is fortunately now the largest UNIX-based OS distributor !
> Great !
>
> I actually have many questions for you, guys:
>
> ======>
> 1. IRC
> I'd like to use a Terminal-based IRC client. I downloaded ircii 2.8.2
> on http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/ircii/ which seems THE command to
> use. Now I need to install this package. I think it's with RPM,
> right ? There is no such entry in MAN RPM, at least in TCSH. What
> about in BASH ? Now, how can I install my IRC client ? Is there one
> that is already installed. OS X seems to come with very little UNIX
> commands installed. (about a thousand...)

Don't know, I (occasionally) use chatzilla.

> 2. USR/ETC/.CONFIG or so ?
> I'd like to make the command lynx automagically make my
> usr/bin/local/lynk works all the time. I forgot the file to edit with
> VI (or Pico). Where is it and what should I write into it ?

Edit your path in .profile (assuming you are using bash as your shell.)
This is what mine looks like:
PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:$PATH; export PATH

your's might very well look like this when you are done with it.
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH; export PATH

> 3. NEWSGROUPS
> Any idea for a Terminal-based newgroups reader ?

I used to live in slrn. It is still one of the best, if  you are just
interested in text newsgroups. It can be installed with fink, though
these days I just use Mozilla or Thunderbird.

-chuck

--
<?php while ($awake) code(); ?>