[X-Unix] IRC, lynx, newsgroups, RPM install, etc.

Charles Burkins burk at pobox.com
Sun Jul 18 05:33:38 PDT 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Alexandre Quessy wrote:

> Hi all,
> Bonjour !
>
> I have fun reading your mails. It helps me to get used to *NIX on my
> Mac. Apple is fortunately now the largest UNIX-based OS distributor !
> Great !

[snippage]

> OS X seems to come with very little UNIX commands installed. (about a
> thousand...)

Following up again,  because I see I missed a chance to shill for one
of my favorite projects, Fink,

<http://fink.sourceforge.net>

They have ported a lot of software from the *nix/open source community
to run on MacOSX.  Precompiled binaries can be installed with Debian's
apt-get and the fink command can be used to automate compilations of
packages *and all dependencies*. 'Tis a most  cool effort.

Other programs compile fine out of the box on Mac OS X. (exuberant
ctags was as simple as ./configure; make; make install).

All the best,
-Chuck