[X-Unix] IRC, lynx, newsgroups, RPM install, etc.

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sun Jul 18 08:28:56 PDT 2004

On 17 Jul, 2004, at 11:32, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> 2. USR/ETC/.CONFIG or so ?
> I'd like to make the command lynx automagically make my
> usr/bin/local/lynk works all the time. I forgot the file to edit with
> VI (or Pico). Where is it and what should I write into it ?

There is no such directory in a standard Unix system as "/usr/etc." So
one assumes you really intend "USR" to equate to "~" or "<userid>" or
"$HOME".  Similarly, generally speaking, there is no reason for an
"etc" directory under your userid. It's not that you can't have one,
just that it is "non-standard."

You really should have a full "/usr/local" tree (which Apple does
provide) ... not stick a "local" directory in every existing tree.
Maintaining a /usr/local tree keeps you in tune with "standard" Unix
distributions and makes the installation of most Open Source Software a
simple "./Configure ... Make install" process.

Again, in general, the convention (aka standard) in the Unix world is
to install "non-manufacturer supplied" software into the /usr/local
tree. This allows one to upgrade the base operating system without
"significant" issues about retaining local software, and it is a
"standard" place for other programs to look.

You can either add "~/bin/local/" to your path, or simply create an
alias for lynk (which I assume you mean to be "lynx," the non-graphical
web browser.

In either case, the file you want to edit is your
~/.<shell-initilization-file>

See the thread from last week -- "Changing the default Shell" for a
list of possible locations.

Assuming you are using Apple's defaults, you will be running bash as
your shell (man bash). Bash recognizes several initialization files:
$HOME/.profile and $HOME/.bashrc, $HOME/.bash_profile,
$HOME/.bash_login since you will be using this interactively, any of
them can be used. You will wind up with an entry like:

           PATH=$HOME/bin/local:$PATH; export PATH

Where "$HOME/bin/local" represents the full path to your executable.

Note that the issue of putting the system defined directories first in
the search path ($PATH) in the above, or after your local directories
can tend to be a religious issue. There ARE implications to the search
order. (First entry found wins, etc.)

An alias entry in the same file would be:

             alias lynx=$HOME/bin/local/lynx

> 3. NEWSGROUPS
> Any idea for a Terminal-based newgroups reader ?
> <======

emacs - meta-x-gnus

Best terminal-based news-reader that ever existed...  :)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com