[X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 00:24:30 PDT 2004

>From: Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
>Subject: Re: [X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to
>
>At 20:08 -0500 2004/06/30, Bert Knabe wrote:
>>find /Volumes/composing/\ \ \ Running\ Ads/* -mtime 1 -exec cp -p {}
>>/Volumes/Online/\PDF\'S/In/ \;
>
>What is that star doing there? The first argument of find is supposed
>to be a single directory. The rest are commands starting with a
>"-something" label.

Find will take multiple directory paths and 'find' below them in turn
([pathname ...] in the manpage).  Here the '*' is probably just
matching too much, as William said later, and is redundant anyway.

and

>From: Bert Knabe <bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com>
>Subject: Re: [X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to
>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 00:39:35 -0500
>

>On Jul 1, 2004, at 12:23 AM, William H. Magill wrote:
>>  By the way -- if you plan on doing lots of stuff like this from the
>>  command line, loose the apostrophe and make it simply "PDFs" or
>>  "PDF-s"   ... ditto for spaces in file names -- use a dash or
>>  underscore. It makes command line life much easier.
>
>The only reason I didn't change them was the amount of other stuff that
>would have to be changed to accommodate that change. But if I wind up
>doing more of this, I'll make sure I have more input into file and
>folder names. :)

I get round this with Apple's foldernames by putting a link without
spaces next to the offending directory name.  As in:
	cd /Library
	ln -s 'Application Support' ApplicationSupport
	ls -al
	. . .
	drwxrwxr-x    2 root   admin       68 27 Sep  2003 Address
Book Plug-Ins
	drwxrwxr-x   28 root   admin      952 12 Jun 09:38 Application Support
	lrwxrwxr-x    1 root   admin       19  1 Jul 08:19
ApplicationSupport -> Application Support
	drwxrwxr-x    8 root   admin      272  1 Apr 00:38 Audio
	. . .

If set to follow links, 'find' will follow both though.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)