[X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 1 02:46:31 PDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 6:39 am, Bert Knabe wrote:

>> By the way -- if you plan on doing lots of stuff like this from the
>> command line, loose the apostrophe and make it simply "PDFs" or
>> "PDF-s"   ... ditto for spaces in file names -- use a dash or
>> underscore. It makes command line life much easier.
>
> The only reason I didn't change them was the amount of other stuff
> that would have to be changed to accommodate that change. But if I
> wind up doing more of this, I'll make sure I have more input into file
> and folder names. :)

I disagree with Mr Magill's suggestion here - if you're admining for a
number of other users, you can't rely on them following naming
conventions. If Joe User can name his file "Joe's Stuff" then at some
point he probably will. IMO the best way to deal with it is to back
*everything* up.

> BTW, is there a particularly good book on shell scripting, or am I as
> well of searching the web?

I like <http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>
which is also available as a PDF
<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf>