[X-Unix] Changing owner globally

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Sat Jul 3 19:25:27 PDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 17:45, William H. Magill wrote:

> On 01 Jul, 2004, at 20:13, Stroller wrote:
>>> I presume I should first change ownership and then delete the
>>> account (what happens if you delete the account of a user that has
>>> ownership of files that remain on the system?)
>>
>> The files are still owned by his numerical UID.
>
> Remember that when the account is deleted, it is not completely
> deleted. The contents of his home directory are archived. The account
> GUI will tell you where when you delete the account.

Unless you blindly click through the "what do you want to do..."
dialog. :)

Question, though, for the OP:  Does the sister use the machine logged
in as herself, or was this a shared account using the ex's name, but
used by both parties? If the latter, someone recently posted a 'change
short user name' script which should do the trick nicely.

Scott