volume sharing question - an issue with Rendezvous?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Jul 6 13:52:11 PDT 2004

I haven't had occasion to use file sharing via Rendezvous for quite
some time, and have encountered an interesting dilemma: the only
"shares" I am presented with are the two partitions on the internal
drive, I am not offered any of the external FireWire drives I have.

I assume this is a Rendezvous issue because the two systems I'm using
are both connecting to each other via an Airport Extreme (i.e. both
boxes have 10.0 addresses).

One box is an iMac with 3 Firewire external drives. The other is an
iBook. Both are 10.3.4 systems. Appletalk is turned off. The firewire
drives are automounted all the time (via write default command.
Personal File Sharing is turned on.

The one firewire drive in particular is my home directory, so I know
it's mounted. Especially since I can ssh into it from the iBook.

Clicking on "Network" in the finder on the iBook, I see the iMac with
no problems.
I login via shortname and password with no problem... however the only
"shares" I am presented with are the two partitions on the internal
drive.

Using Go from the finder, and the IP address, I get the same result --
internal drives only, not the externals.

Am I missing something obvious in my setup here or is this a new
"feature."

(BTW. I also notice that Safari doesn't see any Rendezvous web sites,
even though personal web sharing is also turned on.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com