HD with both OSX- and linux-readable partitions

Warren Pollans warren at meyer-pollans.net
Tue Jul 6 14:49:02 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'd like to put an old 40 GB HD into an external usb/firewire enclosure for use by both OSX and Linux.

Lots of questions.

Is this possible?  Create two 20 GB partitions (1 hfs+, 1 ext3)? It's not necessary that the files created by one OS be accessible to the other OS.

Is there one fdisk that can create both types of partitions?  Or will I have to make one from OSX and one from linux?  If so, will the partitions of one OS be recognized by the other?

Is the order in which they're made or the order in which they appear on the HD important?

I could just do it and experiment, but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,

Warren