[X-Unix] Welcome to Darwin! You have new mail.

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Jul 9 06:19:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:25:16PM -0700, Jerry Krinock wrote:
:
: How exciting!!  The last few days, whenever I open a Terminal window, "I
: have new mail".
:
: I understand that there is a command-line email system built into Mac OS X,
: which I have never used, and do not want to use.  However, I think that this
: email may be an error message from an errant application I am developing, so
: I'd like to read it.

The message is not an error.  You have mail on your local Unix system.
On BSD-ish systems (including OS X), your local mail is located in the
/var/mail directory.

: What is the simplest way to read and then delete this message?
: Can I use Mail or Entourage?

You can use the command-line "mail" program, which is a pain to use.
Since it's just a single text file in MBOX format, you can use simple
tools like "more", "less", or the "pico" editor to view the contents,
then delete the entire mailbox using "rm -i".

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/