[X-Unix] clearing DNS cache

Dave Higgins dave at just4.com
Mon Jun 7 06:24:02 PDT 2004

Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Until your ISP's DNS gets updated, use the numerical IP address to
> access
> your site. PITA, but that's probably the easiest way.

That only works if it's the default site on the server. If the server
is using virtual hosts, you have to use the host.domain.com name.

Make sure the DNS server was restarted / reset after the zone record
was updated. If it's a unix DNS server, ask them to restart the name
server rather than reset it (restarting should flush the server's
cache).

Do you mind telling us the domain name and what IP address it's
supposed to point to? Some of us who've done much work with DNS (it was
one of my specialty gigs at an ISP where I worked for years) can tell
what's going on if we can look it up.

Dave.