[X-Unix] syslogd problems

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Jun 8 08:36:47 PDT 2004

On 07 Jun, 2004, at 22:01, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> Ok, I'm tired of this.  Can anyone help me with the OS X syslogd
> program and syslogd.conf?  Please start with where the hell I can find
> accurate documentation.

Please report this to Apple. It is a "known problem" -- Unix engineers
update the modules in the System and fail to update the man pages.

The "current" man page can be found at www.freebsd.com - select "Manual
Pages" from the left column, and then type "syslogd" into the box.

> I want to log syslog entries from a different device to my G5
> (10.3.4).  I can eventually get syslog info to be accepted and logged
> by killing syslogd and restarting it with the -u option.  However, in
> both my and a friend's experience, doing so will cause the machine to
> become totally unresponsive to mouse, keyboard, or remote access
> within 24-48 hours.  Leaving a 'top' session running doesn't show any
> obvious problems with memory, processes, or CPU when this happens.

A full disk?

A "deadly embrace" in the Disk I/O system? (I know this problem exists
with Adaptec SCSI in 10.2.8.)  If the system is unresponsive, I would
expect something like this.

> A separate issue is that I don't see an obvious way to restart syslogd
> with different options without hacking around in the system rc script,
> which I'm loathe to do for best practice reasons.

No, I don't believe there is. (Although you should not have to, it
appears to be the only place where anything is done with syslogd --
StartupItems does nothing.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com