[X-Unix] Yet another confirmation on netwrok connection...........

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Jun 8 06:01:59 PDT 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 5:34 AM, Stroller wrote:

>> Try this:
>>
>> Type smb://workgroup/server into TextEdit and then select the text
>> and drag
>> it to your Desktop. This should create an Internet location file.
>> Rename the
>> file as your server name (if you want) and drag it to the Sidebar of a
>> Finder window (lower portion). When you single-click on its icon in
>> the
>> Sidebar, it should bring up the Select a Share window you noted.

I do what is functionally equivalent.

1) Connect the "usual" way", complete with all the button pushing.

2) Go to ~/Library/Recent Servers and find the file with the IP address
corresponding to the server I want.

3) Copy that file to a convenient location. I have a folder called "My
Servers" in my documents folder that is also on my Sidebar, but you
could also put it in the Dock.

4) Rename that file to something that makes more sense.

AFAIK this file is the same as the file created using the above method.
It does take longer this way, but I always seem to have problems when I
do it by creating my own text file.

-Mike