[X-Unix] syslogd problems

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Wed Jun 9 16:25:34 PDT 2004

Kevin Stevens wrote on Wednesday, June 9, 2004:
>Yeah, I'm calling 'shenanigans'.  This same OS version runs on an iBook
>with 256MB of ram and half the VM, but when it is loaded on a G5 with
>1.5GB, just the applications that run on system startup require almost 5GB
>of VM?  Yet after running Photoshop and other memory intensive apps, it
>hasn't increased any further?  I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.  There's
>gotta be some automatic sizing and automatic swap file creation stuff
>going on without regard to actual memory use.

There is, and it's really complex.  I've had parts of it explained to me -- and those just made my head hurt.  Some of it is predictive, in that the VM manager tries to pre-allocate swap space for reduced response time when it's actually needed.  If you have plenty of disk space, why do you care how much swap space is allocated?  Do you think it's slowing your system down?