[X-Unix] syslogd problems

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Wed Jun 9 19:42:21 PDT 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 16:25, James Bucanek wrote:

> Kevin Stevens wrote on Wednesday, June 9, 2004:
>> Yeah, I'm calling 'shenanigans'.  This same OS version runs on an
>> iBook
>> with 256MB of ram and half the VM, but when it is loaded on a G5 with
>> 1.5GB, just the applications that run on system startup require
>> almost 5GB
>> of VM?  Yet after running Photoshop and other memory intensive apps,
>> it
>> hasn't increased any further?  I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.
>> There's
>> gotta be some automatic sizing and automatic swap file creation stuff
>> going on without regard to actual memory use.
>
> There is, and it's really complex.  I've had parts of it explained to
> me -- and those just made my head hurt.  Some of it is predictive, in
> that the VM manager tries to pre-allocate swap space for reduced
> response time when it's actually needed.  If you have plenty of disk
> space, why do you care how much swap space is allocated?

Generally, because there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it;
specifically, because I didn't believe your take about applications
having requesting it.  I'm an engineer, I like things to make sense.
(shrug)

>   Do you think it's slowing your system down?

Let's say that I'm massively unconvinced that it's paying its way.  ;)
But we've strayed pretty far from syslogd locking the system up.

KeS