cups problems

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Tue Jun 15 21:01:21 PDT 2004

Hello,

Since MacOS X uses cups, I thought I could share my Colour Laserjet 2500L over
the network. SO I connected it (over USB of course) to my PowerBook and, as a
matter of fact, it worked great and all my Linux machines yould use it.

I seem to recall it used to work 100% (but maybe I didn't print big
documents). Anyway, for a few weeks now (so this could have to do with one of
these poorly documented "updates" MacOS insists on downloading regularly),
some documents, allways full of graphics but not necessarily "huge", only
print partly, or not at all: loading starts, then suddenly the orange light
lights up and the "printing stopped" appears in the printer control center.

Now I took the time to configure my Linux Laptop (this meant downloading the
required ppd file and setting the printer in cups) and see: the very same
documents print completely and with no problem.

So this is neither a document, nor a printer problem. Is this a "Mac-cups"
problem, or a network problem?

Seems I'll soon be back to considering using MacOS only for video jobs....

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein