[X-Unix] Remote force logout and lockout of user

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jun 15 21:28:32 PDT 2004

--On Sunday, June 13, 2004 04:53 PM -0700 James Bucanek
<subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:

> Personally, I'd just take the gloves off.  Change the password, then
>
>     sudo reboot

Yes, I think the easiest is:

ssh remote-host
sudo passwd <otheruser>   to change password
sudo shutdown -h now      to log them out and shut down

That works fine. The problem is, if I then want to re-enable their login, I
cannot get back into the machine unless somebody logs in first. That is,
after the machine is booted back up and the multi-user login screen is
visible, I cannot even ping the machine until one of the users logs in first.
Is that the way it is supposed to behave.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com