[X-Unix] Remote force logout and lockout of user

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Tue Jun 15 22:00:19 PDT 2004

Dennis Fazio wrote on Tuesday, June 15, 2004:

>--On Sunday, June 13, 2004 04:53 PM -0700 James Bucanek
><subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd just take the gloves off.  Change the password, then
>>
>>     sudo reboot
>
>Yes, I think the easiest is:
>
>ssh remote-host
>sudo passwd <otheruser>   to change password
>sudo shutdown -h now      to log them out and shut down
>
>That works fine. The problem is, if I then want to re-enable their login, I
>cannot get back into the machine unless somebody logs in first. That is,
>after the machine is booted back up and the multi-user login screen is
>visible, I cannot even ping the machine until one of the users logs in first.
>Is that the way it is supposed to behave.

That should definitely not be the case.  If it were, I'd be up the creek without a paddle every time I restarted my OS X Server.  No, by the time the system is to the point where it displayed the login screen, the network and all system services should be up and running.

The only thing I notice, is that you used 'shutdown -h now' rather than 'reboot' or even 'shutdown -r'.  'shutdown -h' is equivalent to 'halt', which will shutdown (not restart) the remote computer.

If the computer is off, it definitely won't response to a ping.  ;)