[X-Unix] Remote force logout and lockout of user

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Wed Jun 16 06:12:21 PDT 2004

--On Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:00 PM -0700 James Bucanek
<subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:

>  No, by the time the system is to the point where it displayed the login
> screen, the network and all system services should be up and running.
>
> The only thing I notice, is that you used 'shutdown -h now' rather than
> 'reboot' or even 'shutdown -r'.  'shutdown -h' is equivalent to 'halt',
> which will shutdown (not restart) the remote computer.
>
> If the computer is off, it definitely won't response to a ping.  ;)

No, it's rebooted. Even with a shutdown -r, when it comes back up, it won't
respond to ping until I log in once. I rebooted my older TiBook, and when it
came back up, access was available as expected, so something is weird with
the iBook. It's as if the network stuff isn't started up until someone logs
in.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com