[X-Unix] xclock

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Thu Jun 17 10:38:32 PDT 2004

On 14 Jun, 2004, at 16:55, John Woodrow wrote:
> Does anyone know how to change the colour of the hands and tics on
> xclock?
>
> 	xclock -bg blue &
> works fine and launches xclock with a blue face, as does adding:
> 	xclock.clock.background: blue
> to my .Xdefaults file.
>
> But the ticks and hands are green and brown, and I cannot change them.
> -hd and -hl options have no effect.
>
> If I enter:
> 	xclock -hands navy &
> the -hands option is ignored. If I add:
> 	xclock.clock.hands: red
> to my .Xdefaults file it has no effect.
>
> I am running xfree86 v4.3.0 and OS 10.2.8, using Blackbox as my window
> manager in rootless mode.

I'm using Apple's distributed version of X11 -- in 10.3.3:
XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System

I don't know that the "hands" variable does what you think it should do
(if it works at all in the application, I've never had it work in any
version of X.) [Note that in the man page it is defined only in the
context of "reverseVideo." (And, since it only defines "the insides" of
the hands ...?)]

Use these in your .xresources file (or is .Xresources, I forget which
one is used, I have them both linked to the same file.) ... .Xdefaults
is not read unless defined via XENVIRONMENT as I recall.)

xclock*background:                      LightSteelBlue
xclock*secondColor:                     Red
xclock*minuteColor:                     green
xclock*hourColor:                       purple

Yeah, none of them are documented, but if you do a strings on the
executable you will discover that they exist.

And if you believe the man page, it should be "Xclock.xclock", not
"Xclock.clock" ...
(or use xwininfo and/or xprop)
and use xrdb -q to verify that you don't have conflicting definitions.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com