[X-Unix] Zombies

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xunix at headgear.org
Sun Jun 20 07:55:22 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 07:40:00AM +0100, David Ledger wrote:
: From what I remember from many years ago, what *should* happen is
: that when each child exits, it sends a death_of_child signal to the
: parent.

This is true.

: Here the parent exits without checking, but the 'exit'
: routine *should* check for signals and perform the 'wait' on each
: child.

It does.  In the code I posted, the parent just goes to sleep after spawning
the children.  The zombies only persist as long as the parent is around;
otherwise, even if exit() didn't take care of them, init would inherit them
and reap them.

So I guess that you might consider that the code I posted produces "Zombies
Light(tm)".

It's certainly true that if you change the sleep to an exit that there'll be
nothing to look at.

: I havn't tried it, but Cloyce says the above produces zombies.  That
: indicates a deficiency in OSX/Darwin as compared to other Unix
: systems; certainly when compared to Bsd4.1 when I learned this stuff.

Nah... OSX is okay. :)
--
Cloyce