[X-Unix] Setting Page Type/Quality

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Wed Jun 30 12:33:44 PDT 2004

James Bucanek <subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:
>>I have tried to change this via http://127.0.0.1:631 > do=20
>>administration task> at this point you password is required in earlier=20
>>version of Panther & Jaguar this never happened.
>
> A security patch (sometime this year) added password authentication to the =
> admin section of the cups web interface. Unfortunately, cups doesn't seem =
> to be plugged into NetInfo, so none of your user account passwords will wor=
> k. Which I suppose makes it pretty darn secure, but not very convenient. =
> ;)

It was Security Update 2004-04-05 that added <Limit> authentication to
cupsd.conf.

For those interested in the details, the issue is that the version of CUPS
currently shipping in OS X doesn't understand the new ShadowHash password
format of Panther. If you have older accounts, created under Jaguar or
earlier, that haven't had their passwords updated to Panther's ShadowHash
format (which occurs when you change your password under Panther), those
accounts should work with the new CUPS authentication. However, any accounts
created under Panther, or created under earlier versions of OS X but since
updated to the new password format, will not be accepted by CUPS'
authentication dialog. (This is why some users have discovered that some of
their accounts work but others don't.)

This is a known bug and Apple has already submitted fixes to Easy Software
Products for inclusion in future versions of CUPS, which should be provided
with future updates to OS X. (This according to Mac Daily Journal.)

James already provided one solution: to comment out (or remove) the <Limit>
property in the cupsd.conf file. You could also revert to
/etc/cups/confd.conf.applesaved, which is the older version of your
cupsd.conf file from before Security Update 2004-04-05. Finally, if you want
a challenge, you could revert all your passwords to the previous password
format ;-)

--
Get some Mac OS X Power Tools: