[X-Unix] Copy old system to new machine

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Mon Mar 8 02:26:08 PST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 1:49 AM, peter boardman wrote:

> I’m just about to replace an old Mac with a new machine (another
> Mac, of course...). What’s the best way to move all the relevant data
> from the old Mac to the new one (assuming the two are connected)?
>
> By relevant here, I mean of course the four users’ directories, the
> (non-Apple) contents of the old Application folder that won’t be on
> the new machine, and other files that get added to the system. (I’m
> thinking for example of things added to /Library, such as software
> licences...).
>
> I’m assuming that it’s not a good idea to copy an old system over a
> brand new installation, because there will be newer versions of
> things on a new machine that shouldn’t be overwritten by older
> versions from an old machine.
>
> I’m also assuming that you can’t just copy the four users’ folders
> and expect these users to appear magically on the login window?!

Does the old Mac have Firewire? 10.3?

part 1 - this will suffice, if you have 10.3.2 with all updates on the
old machine:
Connect the two with FW.
Boot the old machine in target disk mode (T at startup).
Boot the new machine from it's 10.3 install/restore disk.
open disk utility, choose the restore tab.
Restore the old drive to the new one.

part 2:
If the old one didn't have the latest version of 10.3, do an archive
install.
This will preserve user daata and non-apple apps you had installed on
the new one. registration data, though, might need to be re-entered.
Reboot.
Run the 'install applications and os 9' from the new machine's
install/restore dvd  to install any of the bundled stuff on the new one
such as dev tools, idvd, 3rd party apps and such. Don't choose OS 9
install if you transferred over your classic folder.

This is our recommended method at work (thousands of Macs). I've used
it many times, both on my own machines and others.

--
Scott